The thumbs are kind of messy (I still haven’t mastered colorwork on such teeny little rounds), I’ve remembered why I don’t actually wear mittens (my first instinct is to fling them off to get my fingers free), and I had to take pictures while they were still wet because stranded colorwork takes forever to dry.
Pattern: Loosely based off of helloyarn’s generic mitten pattern, modified to have a closer fitting cuff and a thumb gusset.
Yarn: Decadent Fibers Marshmallow, about 50g each of Grey Goose and Plum Pudding
Needles: My poor worn out US1.5/2.75mm Addi Turbos (on which the nickel plating is completely gone)
Size: 6″ wrists, super long fingers
Duration: 3 weeks or so (they spent days at a time shoved in a corner, and actual knitting time once I got all of my issues worked out was probably only four days)
Modifications: As mentioned above, I went down to 40 stitches on the cuff to fit my teeny wrists, increased to 48 on the hand, knit ten pattern rows then increased two stitches in pattern every other row for a thumb gusset until I had thirteen stitches for the thumb. Held these stitches, cast on three over the gap to continue the pattern up the side, then after finishing the mitten shell, picked up seven stitches on the side of the thumb (three for the pattern column, two on each side to prevent holes), knit thumb on twenty stitches.
(find them here on the Rav.)