Pattern: my own (see below for basic notes)
Yarn: Di’Ve Teseo in ?? (purple, obviously)–3 skeins, and a couple dozen yards of Cascade 220 superwash in black for the edging
Needles: US10.5 circs, 6mm crochet hook for edging
Duration: too damn long, also known as over a year.
The concept behind this thing is pretty basic; I knit two panels of entrelac roughly the same dimensions as my laptop (actually a little smaller, because entrelac stretches quite a bit) then attached them.
The original edging that attached the two panels was on there for a good eight months, and it was hideous. Some slightly fuzzy bulky black yarn, haphazard picked up stitches, some sort of three or four or twelve needle bind-off that made the whole thing twist and buckle weirdly. I finally got up the nerve to replace it, and I’m glad I did–my finishing skills have obviously improved.
First I loosely basted three of the four edges together, then I took a crochet hook (the only one I own) and did some sort of crochet thingy all the way around with two strands of the 220 held together. That’s really as technical as I can get about it, unfortunately, as I just made loops and chains until it looked right. Then I removed the waste yarn, did the same crochet loops until it looks right around the open side, adding in an extra chain here and there for buttonholes.
The finished product looks pretty awesome, I must admit. My only problem is that my lappy is a clunky six pounds, which makes me wary about actually carrying it in anything other than a hard case. I’m half considering making a pillowform to put in it instead, which leads me to the title of this post.
if I do leave it as a laptop case, I have plans to
cannibalizerecycle an old belt to use as a carrying strap.
(n is divisible by its digits, the sum of its digits, and the product of its digits. Yes, I am that much of a math geek–just wait until the next clue, it gets worse.)