Yeah, yeah, I’m a dork. But I’ve got a kickass hat!
I think this means that I’ve finally–finally found a hat shape that works for me. It covers my ears! It holds all of my hair! It doesn’t make my very large forehead look strange! Now I want to design a whole series of loose tams like this one. Using this yarn. It feels just like Cascade 220 to me, but I paid less than $30 for a bag of ten skeins at Rhinebeck. Plus I think the color looks fantastic on me.
And it cracks me up that the bobbly hat looks like a giant bobble itself. Honestly the trinity stitch wasn’t too bad–as I mentioned earlier, would’ve been easier with my KP needles, but as soon as I got used to doing the knit even rounds loosely, the dull SB needles weren’t a problem.
My one complaint would be that there is, perhaps, just a bit too much hat, here. If/when I make another tam like this I think I’m going to go for a little shorter and perhaps a bit less wide. But I’m not bothered enough by it to rip it out and do it again.
Yarn: Filatura Lanarota Chaco
Pattern: Trinity Stitch Hat by Breadnbadger on Craftster
Needles: US6/4mm and US8/5mm circs
Mods: hoo boy. Used worsted instead of bulky, changed needle size as noted, used a tubular cast on to cast on 78 stitches, increased to 116 for the bobbles. the decrease section calls for four bobbles to be decreased every fourth round; I wanted a faster rate due to my larger stitch count, so I decreased five bobbles every fourth round until I ran out of stitches to do that in, then I decreased as many bobbles as I could, still every fourth round and maintaining pattern stitch, until I was down to eight stitches, at which point I k2tog’d all the way around, then drew the yarn through the remaining stitches.
Duration: Three days including blocking.
(on Ravelry: here.)