I swear these socks were cursed from the get-go. From the first attempt which was way too small (but I didn’t notice until after I’d finished a leg), to the second which was too large (courtesy of my pair of US3s that look remarkably like the US2s I meant to use), to the final pair, in which the second sock is slightly smaller than the first, for reasons I do not understand but probably involve the speed I used to get the socks finished in time to mail them tomorrow. Still, they’re done, which is a good deal more than can be said for a lot of things I’ve been working on lately.
Pattern: Susanna by Stephanie van der Linden
Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sport in Denim, two skeins
Needles: US2.5/3mm Addi Turbos, 32″
Mods/notes: I started these socks on the recommended needle size of US1.5 and had them come up way too small—they wouldn’t even fit on my foot, even after an aggressive blocking. I moved up to a US2.5 and although they’re a bit snug going over the heel, they do fit. But there is very little stretch in some areas of the lace pattern, and I think if I were to make them again I’d use a light fingering weight, go down to a US0, and work the sock on 80 stitches instead.
Rather than the 70 stitch 1×1 rib cuff, I worked a 60 stitch 2×2 rib cuff for six rnds before beginning the lace pattern. After one and a half repeats of the pattern, I worked the heel flap over the first half of the sock, plus one stitch from the second half, continuing in the lace pattern for 26 rows. 16 stitches were picked up off of each side of the heel flap, then the sole decreased to 29 stitches. Subbed in a modified wedge toe (at this point I’d not actually looked at the pattern in ages, so I don’t know what kind of toe is in there), and ta-da! A pair of socks!
My scale says I have 60g leftover, and since we just found out today that the recipient of the socks is pregnant—with a boy!—I think it’ll make the perfect set of matching baby booties.
On Ravelry here.